[at-l] Derailed at Blue Mountain - Part Two

Derailed at Blue Mountain - by Robert Tomlinson
(part two - part one is reprinted below)

By now, I had suddenly lost my confidence about hitching a ride and so had
asked Greg to get out his cell phone and either call 911 or the sheriff's
emergency number posted on the sign. While he was doing this, a friendly
looking fifty-something fellow drove up, rolled down his window, and said
something along the lines of "you guys sure picked a day to go hiking",
alluding to the wet and rainy weather. He started to tell us of his hiking
plans, now aborted by the weather, but I was not interested in small talk
and so I interrupted with "I have a broken wrist - can you take me to the
hospital?" At first, he was concerned as to whether there was room in his
car, filled with hiking gear, but when I said it would just be me going, he
agreed. Turns out he was a fellow Floridian, working for a screen/pool
enclosure company in Naples. Greg threw my pack in the guy's trunk and after
I rather impatiently waited through a bit more of their hiking chitchat, we
were ready to go. I gave Greg a hug and croaked out a "thanks", but was too
choked up and teary to say more - after all, he had done a lot for me. Then
the newly drafted trail angel and I drove off, leaving Greg to start his now
very long and very alone hike to catch back up with the others.

I recited my version of the directions to the hospital and based on that the
trail angel took off towards Unicoi, but after about thirty seconds he said
"You don't want to go this way to Hiawassee, you want to go the other way!"
He made a U-turn - we headed back the way we came, past Greg, already
occupied with packing up and didn't see us. Mister trail angel said he had
just been in Hiawassee, so I wasn't worried - at least not too much. He
carried most of the conversational ball, which I was grateful for - I was
too preoccupied with planning my next move, and yes, worrying a little bit
if we were going the right direction. Pretty soon we hit Highway 76, so
based on what I remembered from the sign at Unicoi Gap we turned left
(west), but instead of 11 miles we started seeing blue hospital signs within
one mile and shortly after that the signs led us to "Chatuge Regional
Hospital", with a big Emergency Room sign. I asked my trail angel to wait
while I went inside to check it out. He agreed so I jumped out of the car
and ran in. By now, it was about 11:30AM, two and one-half hours after my
injury.

I went up to the front desk and explained my problem and the lady said yes,
we have an emergency room, but we don't have an orthopedic doctor here and
so can't do anything about broken bones. Well, where can they help me? Well,
you would probably have to go to Murphy, NC - about 50 miles away - or down
to Gainesville, GA - about 50 miles the other way. While they are explaining
this set of circumstances that seem crazy to a city boy, I have asked for
the yellow pages and am crazily flipping through them to see if I can find
any holes in their story. No luck. But what about the hospital that was
supposed to be 11 miles west on Highway 76 and you were just two miles west?
They didn't really know what I was talking about, but they must be the same
place, because - get this through your head, hiker boy - THERE ARE NO MORE
HOSPITALS!

Well, it looked like I would either have to try to strong-arm my trail angel
into a really long drive or just stay there and see what they could do for
me - they did have some sort of doctor there, after all, didn't they? Maybe
the lady at the front desk didn't know it all - ? Maybe, this is a kind of
minor fracture that they can treat here, without needing an orthopedic
doctor?

Anyway, based on this somewhat wishful thinking I went back outside, told
Mister Trail Angel (his name was Terry) I was staying here, he brought my
pack inside for me, I said thanks, he said bye, and he was off. I went back
to the emergency room. A very quiet emergency room, I might add. No waiting,
a pleasant change from my big city experiences.

The nurse assigned me a bed and told me to lie down on it, dirty boots and
all. She took my blood pressure while she listened to my story. I would get
a lot of practice telling this tale before the day was over. I gathered they
don't see many injured AT hikers in this hospital, which I guess is a good
thing. After a little bit a doctor appeared, a friendly guy about my age or
maybe a little younger. He also asked for my story and after unwrapping and
examining my wrist, he said that although x-rays were needed to be sure, he
was pretty sure it was broken and therefore pretty sure they would not be
able to do anything much for me there. But let's wait and see how the x-rays
come out and we will discuss it more then.

After the doctor left me, someone else came and rode me in a wheelchair to
the X-ray room, where yet another person took a few pictures. Then they
wheeled me back to my ER bed. Oh yeah, sometime during this process they
made sure to ask for my medical insurance card - good thing I had carried it
with me on the trail, instead of leaving it in the car or even at home, as I
learned afterward that some people do.

Soon after I came back from getting x-rayed, my pain started to get
significantly worse. My fingers were becoming very swollen and numb and I
had to get up and pace around the ER cubicle just to try to keep my mind off
of the throbbing. Where was that doctor anyway? Finally, after more than an
hour (the lunch hour, I might add), he came back. Based on the x-rays, he
saw three separate areas of trauma, but only one that needed attention, and
the way I understood it was that while technically a break, the necessary
procedure was a manipulation to reduce (relocate) the "right radial" (one of
two bones in the lower arm, connecting the wrist and the elbow) from where
it was to where it should be. And that needed an orthopedic doctor, with
access to anesthesia and the necessary equipment. Which as I had been told
before they did not have in Hiawassee, or anywhere near that fair city.

But there was some possible good news. The good doctor indicated that,
during his rather long absence from my bedside, he had been personally
checking into my options for treatment, due to his sympathy for my untenable
position as an injured stranger with only a backpack's worth of worldly
goods (but a valid insurance card), and he had heard that an orthopedic
doctor from Gainesville, Georgia made occasional teaching visits to a
Blairsville clinic, less than fifteen miles away, and he had someone
checking into that as a possible option. Otherwise, I would have to get
myself to Murphy or Gainesville.

Although the Blairsville possibility sounded good, it was still more than a
few miles away and, short of more hitchhiking, I was not sure how I would
get there, or worse and more likely at this point, to an even more distant
medical facility. I thought of 80 year old Gene, who shuttled my group on
Sunday from Woody Gap to our starting point at Dick's Creek Gap, and who had
done a shuttle for another hiking group I was in last July. He did live in
Hiawassee, but I had no idea whether I would be able to reach him and if I
did, what his plans were for the day.

The doctor interrupted my quiet worrying when he said, well I can at least
temporarily splint your wrist until we figure out what we can do with you.
He did it himself, using a gauze-like cloth, which after he soaked in water,
hardened over the next thirty minutes or so. He straightened my wrist and
hand out some as he applied the splint, which improved the circulation and
in turn reduced the swelling in my fingers - while I waited, the terrible
pain finally began to subside.