Re[2]: [at-l] OT Wing Foot Ryan

"I would submit that the repeated comments denigrating my conservation views and
actions  (and  more  importantly in regards to the AT, those of list members who
actively  support  the Trail with their continued time, money and sweat) qualify
as  personal  attacks  ....  having been on the receiving end I must acknowledge
that it can be very difficult" to comply with my suggestion that posters who say
things we don't want to hear should simply be ignored, reports Ron M.

I know the temptation. When I arrived on the list last May after being ousted by
Wingfoot,  I  was  attacked  bitterly for saying a few mild things in Wingfoot's
favor.  Frankly,  I  was  in  a  bit  of a shock with the rancor that greeted my
contention  that  Wingfoot  might possibly have done at least something of value
for  the trail. I didn't mind people disagreeing with me, but it was fascinating
to experience the many ways my honest opinion was distorted and condemned.

One  usually  moderate  list member thought I had destroyed the entire list with
what I had thought were rather mild and judicious comments.

I  sense that occasionally I have useful suggestions dealing with the trail, but
I've  long since given up on trying to change human nature. However, it would be
a  friendlier forum if we all could resist the temptation lash out against those
who lash our against us.

Some  of  us  have  moderated our responses in the interests of list harmony and
rational  discussion  of  important issues. Even he whose mental health has been
questioned has attempted to moderate his words. Others seem unable to ignore the
past.

Weary