[at-l] OT Wing Foot Ryan

>       The problem isn't Wingfoot. Weary is a fine and tolerant
> member giving
> the message over on TA. TA is deliberately politicized and
> unparticipated. A
> lot of what TA promotes is identical to ATC. I think that is what WF is
> getting at. And I think it's a valid point. Please don't bother to respond
> with one word answers, off-topic personal attacks, or fart references...

I was always puzzled by the fund drive since I just could not see the
purpose behind it. All the so-called political threads that I saw were
generally conducted in a fair and good natured way. There were some barbed
comments but I don't recall any of them degenerating into free-for-all ad
hominum flame wars. So I never could understand what people were trying to
suppress. A lot of information was introduced into the list in the course of
those threads.
The only lesson I could draw from that episode was that there were a lot of
vocal list members that wanted only nuts-and-bolts and socializing type
pabulum on the list. I never saw any lack of either while we still had free
speech here. There were plenty of discussions of packs and sleeping bags at
the same time that we had ongoing threads about fire fighting and guns. I'm
sure we had a discussion of feminine hygiene products and what underwear was
best too.
The TA list was doomed to failure because the loyal opposition to a lot of
the politically correct types saw clearly that the TA list would be
moderated by a member of far left and any opposing viewpoints would be
squashed forthwith. Thus there was no reason for naysayers to join the TA
list; nor would any of the heads-in-the-sand group join since they abjure
free discussion. The only left the left would would get tired of preaching
to each other PDQ.
 The only chance TA had was if a moderator was chosen that came from the
small list of people who could see both sides of an issue and would fairly
administer the list. I must hasten to inject the point that I haven't read
any TA posts and am just reacting to third party reports. I have heard that
my name has been brought up in TA as an example of the
dark-side-of-the-force even tho I never showed up over there.
So generally I have to agree with Rafe, RnR and Weary, this list has decided
in favor of being bland and tasteless. That generally means it will be
content free and probably can be replaced with a FAQ list. "What is the best
date to start SOBO"; "Should I get a Hammock?"; "What to do about those
pesky shelter mice?" and so on. Anything more interesting and substantial
would be interpreted by the chicken little group as upsetting and would be
shouted down posthaste.

Bryan