[at-l] Anti ATC/at-l editorial by Wingfoot

--
At 10:21 PM 10/19/2002 -0400, sAunTerer wrote:

>According to my dictionary bribery is a form of corruption.  It is
>inducement to act in a corrupt manner for the benefit of the person
>offering the bribe.  So where was the corrupt behavior Rafe?  Was toning
>down the level of rancor on the list  corrupt?  Was raising money to help
>the ATC corrupt?  How did Ryan benefit?

Wrong.  Here's the definition of "bribe" from dictionary.com

1. Something, such as money or a favor, offered or given to a person in a
position of trust to influence that person's views or conduct.
2. Something serving to influence or persuade.

I understand Ryan's reasoning in doing what he did.  But
what followed went a good ways beyond that, into an all-out
charity drive, with Shane egging everyone on, posting totals
almost daily, etc.

>I agree that the mission of AT-L is not to raise money but we do it from
>time-to-time (despite the claims of some that no one here really cares
>about the AT) and again you choose to characterize what happened with a
>negative term, "spurious".  The proper meaning of that word is fake or false.

Again, from dictionary.com, the definition of "spurious"

1. Lacking authenticity or validity in essence or origin; not genuine;
false. Of illegitimate birth.

In my work, "spurious" often describes events that
simply weren't supposed to happen, or features that
don't belong, as in spurious emissions from an
electronic circuit.

The fund raiser was real, as was the $2K it raised.
It was spurious (IMHO) in that it is not the proper
function or role for a forum.  Here's the definition
of forum:

1a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the
assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
1b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
1c. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or
a radio or television program.

2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among
experts and often including audience participation.
3. A court of law; a tribunal.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--