[at-l] Pepsi Can Stove

----- Original Message -----
From: "L. Parker" <lparker@cacaphony.net>
To: "AT-L List (E-mail)" <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 11:18 AM
Subject: [at-l] Pepsi Can Stove

SNIP

Obviously, the height of the pot is controlling the draft of the
flame and reducing oxygen flow. Is there an optimum height? Does the width
of the pot also affect performance?
<<
SNIP

In my experiments, yes, the width of the pot also affect performance.  As
does the shape of the bottom of the pot.  A good estimator of efficiency is
how much flame wraps around the bottom and up the sides, plus whether the
flame up the side hugs the side as it comes off the bottom, or fans out away
from the pot.  I seem to have better results the more rounded the junction
between the side and bottom.  Flat right angle turns from the bottom to side
are slower and use more fuel.  IMHO, you want a little, but very little,
flame to round up the side.  [Note:  Check it in the dark.]

SNIP

Has anyone tried
varying the size of the holes? What effect did it have? What about hole
spacing? is there an optimum distance between the holes?
<<
SNIP

Depends on the style SCS.  My basic un-pressurized SCSs seem to work best
with more smaller holes vs. fewer larger holes.

Chainsaw