[at-l] Art Loeb Trail, baby trip report

On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 10:11  PM, Jan Leitschuh wrote:
> Well, I have to say it. I am in love.
> He's big, he's bad, he's bald, he's one high dude - the Art Loeb Trail.
> I got my first view on Saturday, and I was smitten -  love at first
> sight.

Your posting brought back many memories.  Fifteen years ago I hiked this
area in an Outward Bound course right before finishing college.  This
was my
first serious backpacking trip (three weeks vs. overnights before with
the scouts).

My interest in the Appalachian Trail started back then on that trip and
while
I didn't manage to do any backpacking in the intervening years, I never
let go
of that dream to hike the trail.  I'm happy to report that the dream
came true this
year.  I started April 1 at Springer and summited Katahdin on September
29.

I'll be at the Gathering this weekend (I attended last year as a
dreamer) and I'm
looking forward to seeing some of my classmates from this year as well
as
meeting new people.

My journal is at http://www.trailjournals.com/gwright for those who are
interested.
Lots (over 300) of pictures.  The last 10 days of entries should be up
shortly.

Radar (GA->ME 2002)