[at-l] Whites and slackpacking

Hi all,

Any chance we could drop this topic?  As most of us on this list know,
one one of the first things to go in hypothermia cases is our ability to
think strait... sometimes people even take off their clothes!  By the
time his core temperature dropped a few degrees he just wasn't able to
make good decisions.

I think people find Mr. Harley's death so upsetting precisely because he
was a long distance hiker.  Maybe his actions were a little on the risky
side, maybe they weren't, but deep down he was pretty much like a lot of
other hikers... he died on the trail, and THAT'S SCARY.

So let's give the man a moment of silence, think about the times that
our own drive to "move on" or "finish" something led us into risky
behavior, and stop trying to rationalize away the thought that something
like this could happen to us.  It probably won't, but it can.

-- Jim

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 01:49, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
<snip>
>      ***  Thru-thinker, I don't believe this was voluntary. I think he was
> trying to reach Madison and became incapacitated by hypothermia (horrible).
> My point was that the need to maintain better cell phone reception could have
> lead him to stay on the freezing ridge instead of getting to lower elevation
> and shelter. The man ditched his gear and kept his phone.
<snip>