Re[2]: [at-l] exhaustion and WMNF/AMC signage

--
At 11:06 PM 10/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Personally I hate signs on trails. I've always felt signs are ok on street
>corners, but don't really belong in the woods. The blaze and the cairn
>should be all that is needed.

What about where the AT crosses or follows roads?

There's quite often a "jog" involved, and when you pop
out of the woods, you may need to walk some distance
to where the trail pops back in.  It's often a guessing
game whether to go left or right, and how far to walk
before the trail continues in the woods.  It might be
a dozen feet, or it might be a quarter mile.  In any
case, it's not always obvious.

In one case in VT, the jog was only a couple dozen
feet, but the trail was so overgrown that I completely
missed where it re-entered the woods.  I ended up
doing a fifteen minute road walk before convincing
myself that this just couldn't be right, and turning back
the way I came.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--