[at-l] Summit weather stories

I absolutely love winter camping and hiking.  As with all outdoor
ventures, the key is preparedness and one's own body type - cold natured
versus hot natured.  I also love hot weather, having played semi-pro
beach volleyball tournaments for many years.  A couple of times I ended
up in the hospital needed IV's to rehydrate, so I am not so sure about
that comment that all you need is night-time to recuperate from 100
degree days! :)  During my 2001 AT hike, my fondest memories are of the
major winter storms we had in march and early april . . . and some of my
more "challenging" memories are of hot, sweaty days where I felt I could
never get away from the heat and the bugs.  To me, short of disastrous
extremes, if you are in reasonable shape, cold weather and snow always
have an antidote - physical exertion, which brings on body warmth.  On
the other hand, there is nothing you can do to "escape" heat except stop
hiking and find some shade to suffer less in - unless, of course, you
retreat to the indoor world.  At the real extremes, both cold and heat
can and do kill, both directly and via storms . . . let us not forget
that it is summer heat that cooks up deadly lightning and tornados, in
addition to heat stroke, dehydration, etc.  I reckon my "preference" is
for cold because I tend to run hot body-metabolism wise, and I remain in
decent enough shape to feel I can use physical exertion as an extra
"layer" of defense . . . Finally, if one is caught in a major snow
storm, never forget that snow itself is an insulator, and if it has
snowed enough, making a shelter in the snow itself can save your life.

Thru-Thinker