[at-l] Summit weather stories

In a message dated 10/9/2002 4:58:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

> I think that last trek back up to get back around Mt. Adams
> > combined with fighting the slowly worsening weather
> > conditions just exhausted him. I have been in a couple
> > hurricanes and sail, and I would say the winds on that
> > ridge were a steady 50-60 MPH, with long gusts up to 70-80
> > Mph.

     ***   It is possible to die from exhaustion while hiking believe it or
not. Hypothermia combined with lingering injuries will exacerbate this
process.

     However, of the 2 death-due-to-cold reports I've read on AT lists over
the last few years I have yet to see any of the witness accounts mention the
finder trying to get the victim in a sleeping bag or do basic rewarming. In
this case a 1/4 mile to meaningful help was probably the wiser choice and
this poor man was probably too far gone to revive. If this horrible situation
occurred in a more remote place the finder would help best by setting up his
therma rest, getting the victim into his sleeping bag and crawling in in his
underwear. The finder would then start warming tea, hot chocolate, soup,
other hot drinks.

     Needless to say, all AT hikers should try to stay aware of the
potential.