Re[2]: [at-l] Katahdin Question

"...How about Maine in June, July, and August?" asks Kinnickinic.

 I took the "winter" photo of Katahdin for the newspaper I used to work for on a
 June 11 at Chimney Pond, elevation about 3,000 feet. About eight inches of snow
 fell and temperatures were in the mid 20s. Such conditions are relatively rare,
 but wise hikers will carry adequate gear for emergencies. We used the photo for
 several  years, mostly to illustrate stories about winter climbers getting into
 trouble  on  the  Katahdin  headwalls. Eventually I got into winter camping and
 summitting and took legitimate winter photos.

 The  months of July and August in Northern New England rarely have temperatures
 that  drop  below  freezing.  But  it  can still get chilly on some late August
 nights.  It also can get uncomfortably warm, like 90 F.+ during the day and 70,
 sometimes higher, at night.

 The difference between Katahdin and the Whites is largely one of remoteness. If
 you  get into trouble in the Whites, an AMC hut or an escape trail is likely to
 be nearby. On the high ridges of Maine escape is sometimes difficult or, sadly,
 impossible as several deaths demonstrate.

  Baxter  Park  keeps  such  tragedies  to  a  minimum with its rigid rules. But
  elsewhere  in  Maine  you can hike wherever you want under whatever conditions
  you  may find. For the past few years, however, MATC has employed ridgerunners
  at the base of Saddleback, on Bigelow and on the southern approach to Whitecap
  to offer advice to hikers who appear in need of it.

  Weary