[at-l] Summit weather stories

--
At 03:56 PM 10/9/2002 -0500, Shane wrote:

> > I think that last trek back up to get back around Mt. Adams
> > combined with fighting the slowly worsening weather
> > conditions just exhausted him. I have been in a couple
> > hurricanes and sail, and I would say the winds on that
> > ridge were a steady 50-60 MPH, with long gusts up to 70-80
> > Mph.

Well, to be honest, I haven't done any winter hiking in
a while.  But I gotta tell you, the time I hiked to Greenleaf
Hut in late February was a treat.  The views in general
were much better than in the summer -- because the
trees are bare, and so the leaves aren't limiting the
visibility.  It was a completely different world, and quite
beautiful.

I like to hike alone in the summer, but thinking back to
those winter hikes I used to do, it's probably not wise
to hike alone in the winter.

No doubt about it, hiking in the snow adds a whole raft
of complications and dangers.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--