-----Original Message-----
From: sheila [mailto:treadlight2002@yahoo.com]

I too am currently looking to buy a new down bag (for fall/winter outings.)
This is straight from Backpacker's Gear Guide.....the numerical rating
between 550 and 850 expresses the quality of the down used for fill.  Higher
numbers mean more loft and more insulation for the same weight, better
compressibility, longer durability, and higher prices (for sure!)
0-9 degree bags appear to have an average rating around 600-650 (a few are
higher)
-1 to -10 appear to have an average rating around 700-750
I also read somewhere to purchase a bag that is 20 degrees below what you
think you will need. Additionally, mummy bags conserve heat.
I'm still researching ......the prices.....ouch!

 "Billie H. Cleek" wrote: What about down quality? Is there such a thing?
How do I tell what the
quality of down in a given bag is?

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:05:05AM -0500, I received a message from t. to
which I felt pleasantly compelled to respond by saying: