[at-l] Down bags. Again.

I too am currently looking to buy a new down bag (for fall/winter outings.)=
  This is straight from Backpacker's Gear Guide.....the numerical rating be=
tween 550 and 850 expresses the quality of the down used for fill.  Higher =
numbers mean more loft and more insulation for the same weight, better comp=
ressibility, longer durability, and higher prices (for sure!)
0-9 degree bags appear to have an average rating around 600-650 (a few are =
higher)
-1 to -10 appear to have an average rating around 700-750
I also read somewhere to purchase a bag that is 20 degrees below what you t=
hink you will need. Additionally, mummy bags conserve heat.
I'm still researching ......the prices.....ouch!
 "Billie H. Cleek" wrote: What about down quality? Is there such a thing? H=
ow do I tell what the
quality of down in a given bag is?

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:05:05AM -0500, I received a message from t. to w=
hich I felt pleasantly compelled to respond by saying:

--
This message brought to you by VIM, Mutt, and a Cleek

Stay on topic!