UM21 heavy duty backpack (was) RE: [at-l] For the ultra heavy backpacker...

The nice people at Gregory sent me the "use and care" manual for a UM21.
Here's some of the info

1)	The "name" for the system is SPEAR (for Special Operations Forces
Personal Equipment Advanced Requirements).  & consists of three sub-systems:
A) Body Armor; B) Equipment Load Carrying Subsystem; C) Backpack Subsystem.

2)	The Rucksack features detachable side pockets (4); quick-release
compression straps; a compression panel (it is foam padded for storing the
Patrol pack or additional gear; also stabilizes load and coverts into a
S*E*A*T); quick release buckles; rigging loops; shoulder harness that is
made to wrap comfortably over the should and around the chest.

3)	Patrol Pack features: Personal ID device; two main compartments;
compression panel... In short a small backpack and not just a butt pack.
Apparently it can carry a sleeping bag.

4)	A Butt pack with its own built-in 2 inch waist belt.

A great system for those who can't leave anything at home.

The cost? Only a mere $1300.00 without accessories.  But it does have the
backpack, the patrol pack, the butt pack, and 5 stuff sacks.

Sighhh...

Guess I'll have to wait for the PowerBall winnings.

William, The Covetous Turtle