[at-l] completed thru hikes??

--
At 11:08 PM 10/3/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Reports from the Monson Post Office, Shaw's, and the Pie Lady last weekend
>figure the numbers of  thruhikers are down about 20% this year.
>TJ

I guess I don't have much of a point-of-reference, but when
I was hiking south through Vermont in early August, I was
impressed by the number of nobos that I encountered -- on
one day, it was well over twenty, and there were several days
when the numbers were in the teens.  I was on the trail for
ten days, and I'm sure the "wave" was quite a bit wider than
that -- though I may have walked right through the peak of it.
During that same 10-day interval, I was passed by about six
sobos (that I know of.)

OTOH, I did have Goddard shelter all to myself on the last
night of my hike... that was kinda nice.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---