[at-l] RE: So Where's Fall?

Well, out here in SW CO, we had our first snow in the mountains at the
end of August.  Of course, that melted off, but last weekend it snowed
again, maybe the 4th time in September, and this time it's here to stay.
(We're talking above 9000').  I was climbing Handies Peak (14,048') last
Saturday after about 2" Friday night.  Then on Sunday it snowed a foot.
The Silverton Mountain ski crew took their first turns on Tuesday, and
they're due to get another foot this weekend, so they may be the first
ski area to open this year.  Aspens above 10,000 have turned, and the
color is moving increasingly speedily down the mountainside.  Fall is
certainly here, here.

Ke Kaahawe

-----------------
sAunTerer writ:

We are rapidly approaching the 1st weekend in October which is usually
the weekend for peak leaf color in these parts (Adirondacks and North)
but everywhere I look is still 98% green.  Temperatures are in the 70s
and the only real color I see is in a low swampy area on my way to work
in the St. Lawrence Valley.

What are thru-hikers seeing in VT, NH and ME?  Are the leaves changing
over that way or are they still having summer too?

sAunTerer

---