[at-l] LILI watch

> We will be thinking of you.

Thanks Dawg.  Here's a little something - sorry about the
cross post from BGT...

For many years I have done volunteer duty with Civil Defense
and a few other groups.  I got the bad news today...I'm not
allowed Wet Duck duty OR Archangel duty anymore - especially
Archangel duty.  Somebody told them that I have a wife and
child now, and they also found out that I'm 34.  No Wet Duck
volunteers over 35...  Damn rules...  Now I'm relegated to
command center and training duty.  I guess I'm 'lucky' I got
to do the things that I did for the years that I got to do
them, and lucky I got out alive.  My heart does go out to
the guys (and gals) that do the things that keep the average
Joe (and Jane) safe and secure.  I will never forget being
IN Morgan City for Andrew, which has just been retroactively
upgraded to a Cat 5 storm.  Ah, those were the days...

There's a city, which is also an island called Grand Isle
that's going to take a mighty hit, and probably be a level
strip of sand in the morning.  Their 'protection levee' is
12 feet high.  The storm surge might be as high as 15 feet.
You do the math.  Despite that, some of the firemen and the
police chief have stayed because some of the people who live
there decided not to leave despite the threat, and the
mandatory evacuation order.  (While I believe strongly in
freedom and rights, there ARE times and circumstances when
people should be drug from their homes...)  At some point
they will no longer be able to leave even if they want to
because LA 1 washes out in the first few hours of ANY storm.
So, while I'll see some wind, and play in a little rain, the
Archangels have my respect and my prayers - and it makes me
a little sad to know that I won't be able to stand among
them anymore and walk through that dark valley.

Think about that really hard, because while we've turned a
lot of firemen and police into heroes lately, there are an
awful lot of people who place themselves in harms way for us
every day, and get no recognition and little thanks - and in
the case of volunteers, no pay.  If you haven't done it
recently, go thank some firemen and some police.  Do
something nice for them...

If all is well in the morning, I should be back online
tomorrow night.  If I'm not back, then thanks for the times,
and I wish you all the best.

Shane