[at-l] Re: part deux: "pop v soda"..

In a message dated 10/2/2002 9:32:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sloetoe@yahoo.com writes:

> http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~almccon/pop_soda/
> They've finally gone and mapped out the whole "soda"/"pop"
> thing. Comfortingly, the results mirror what we have observed
> (too!) many times on the at-l, including the fact that a full
> 95% of Connecticut natives speak of "soda".
>
> Sloetoe,
> firmly in "pop" land...

Well, I live in the South. Land of the Coke (we like to conveniently forget
that Pepsi was thought of in North Carolina).

Everything here is a coke. Coke...you know the regular stuff. Diet Coke, to
go with your Big Mac to save calories. Then there is Sprite coke. Still coke,
just clear. Orange Coke...you know...Sunkist. Dr. Pepper Coke...the funny
tasting one.

You go into McD's and order burger, fries and coke. They ask what kind of
Coke, and you respond with one of the varieties mentioned above. Everything
is a form of coke, there are just different shadings of said Coke offerings.

Then of course, we have Coke museum. Laughed at when thought of and built in
downtown Atlanta...now the line is minimum two hours to get it.

Dawg