[at-l] Water filters and urine

--
At 11:19 AM 9/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Ted
>
>On a serious note (not to say your note wasn't serious) - for what it's
>worth, I talked to a number of thu-hikers in September while I was in Maine
>about their filters.  Many of them had troubles with the PUR "Hiker" model.
>I have one of these as well.  It seems they were clogging up after only a
>short amount of use this year.  Mine did too.
>
>One couple used an MSR, heavier and slower than the PUR.  But they liked it
>better it since it was more robust and gave them no trouble.  (Better to
>have something that works reliably, than something half the weight that
>doesn't do the job!) I may go back to the MSR myself (which I got last
>Christmas as a gift), but first I'll see if PUR will send me a new filter
>element to replace mine.
>
>And the water was so scarce people were pumping from practically mud
>puddles.  One guy said there was a frog in one puddle he had to pump from.

To add to this...

I've generally been a big fan of MSR gear.  I lost my first
MSR filter on a hike up in Maine last year.  Bummer.

Bought a new one earlier this year.  On my hike in Vermont
this August, the new one seemed to need cleaning almost every
day.  A pain in the butt, to be truthful.

I don't know if the filter matrix is of a different consistency,
or if perhaps I was drawing water from more murky sources.
It's not a huge chore to clean it, but it seems unreasonable
to have to do this every day.

Anyway, I know that at least one other hike had this same
complaint about a "new" MSR filter.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--