[at-l] Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap in 1 Day

--
At 10:28 AM 9/30/2002 +0000, trail angel Apple wrote:

>Last month I hiked from Newfound Gap (Great Smokie NP) to Davenport Gap
>in 3 days. It really bushed me. I had the best sleeping bag and boots I
>could find. I was proud of my achievement... So 2 days ago at Cosby Knob
>some dude goes flying by me in shorts and tennis shoes. He had started
>at Newfound and was ending at Davenport the same day! Argggghhhh... I
>know he was truthing because I saw him run up the hill out of low Gap.

The last thing you want to do on the trail is compare your
hiking speed to another hiker -- any other hiker.  Don't do it.

When I look at the diary from my big hike years ago, it's
clear that this was a great source of frustration, and was
a big factor in my leaving the trail.

Easier said than done, I know.  When you listen to the chit-
chat among LD hikers, you often hear folks comparing
statistics...  "when did you start?" or "where did you start
from?"  or "how many miles did you do today?" -- everyone's
taking measure, all the time, it seems.

Resist this urge.  It does no good, unless you're a Dave
Horton or Ward Leonard.  It's one thing to push yourself,
to make as many miles as you can.  But don't use any
other hiker as your goal or standard.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--