[at-l] No way to pave a soul

There was something in the way those yellow poplars stood all in a row,
winding in and out of fragrant shady mountain hollows like Sunday drivers
craning for a roadside mountain view.

The way the birdsong resonated with orchestral grandeur on dewdrop diesel
fuel mornings bursting at the prospect of a new day's journey.

Something mystical and savage in the teddy bear deer would surface in their
eyes as they tracked me in hopes of the easy meal.

And how disappointed they would grow, to behold the vanity in their motives.

For I, too, travelled lightly and free.

Without fur, mind you.

But with the delicate ruffage of crisp dollar bills in my pack, ripe for
spending on government handouts found trailside roadside all along the way.

Shenandoah National Park and the Appalachian Trail, here we come again.
Virginia is for lovers. Save some wilderness for me.

- blisterfree