[at-l] Re: vegatarians, vegans onthe trail

Regan,

I used to wonder about this myself, but then did a little reading on
the web (can't remember where exactly) and it dawned on me that
most trail food already is veggie-friendly and with a little tweaking
would be vegan-friendly.  Especially if you're preparing it yourself.

I went end-to-end on the Long Trail this summer without any
difficulties maintaining a vegetarian diet.  And except for some
powdered milk that I'd put in about a third of the dinners I prepared,
and for one morning in Clarendon, it would have pretty much been a
vegan diet as well.

Seems to me like the biggest problems maintaining your diet might
be in town stops.  Other thru-hikers will be heading for the greasy
cheese burgers in order to pack in the high calorie fat.  And that
won't be an option for you.  So eat around it as you usually do.

Keep in mind that on a thru you'll constantly be using up the
calories and may need to (will probably need to?) supplement your
accustomed diet in some way.  How do you feel about swigs of
olive oil?

Just takes a little planning.

Take care,

Concordia, LT '02