[at-l] Fw: This is not a joke OT

--

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 7:22 PM
Subject: Fw: This is not a joke

            ----- Original Message -----

            PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW-THIS IS NOT A JOKE

            I received a telephone call last evening from an
            individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was
            conducting a test on telephone lines. He stated that to complete the
            test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#),
            and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and
            refused.

            Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing
            90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone
            line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your
            home phone number. I was further informed that this scam has been
            originating from many local jails/prisons. I have also verified
            this information with UCB Telecom, Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and
            GTE. Please beware. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. The GTE Security
            Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.
            PLEASE pass this on to everyone YOU know.

            If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are
            connected with, I encourage you to pass on this information to them.

            After checking with Verizon they said it was true, so do not dial (9),
            zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up for anyone.
            PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

--
[ Content of type image/gif deleted ]