[at-l] From the heart

     I  have section hiked the southernmost 300 miles of the Trail,
have worked on the Rocky Top Trail Crew, have contributed money
to the ATC and many other trail associations as far away as the
PCT, and have been the lucky recipient of a lot of advice from
this List that has helped me continue to hike at an age (over 60)
and in a condition, physically, when I might have just decided to
give it up. I cared enough to create the AT Bibliography on Dan
Bruce's website and keep at it even when his abuse was almost
unbearable.  In other words, I care VERY MUCH about the AT and
all issues related to it.
     I also care very much about the people on this List who feel
the same way--people I've grown to know and love over the years--
people who hardly post any more because a few people have been busy
creating such awful arguments.  And now one of our most beloved
Listers--someone who has always appeared to me to be a  wonderfully
sane and reasoned person--seems to have given up and quit the List.
     I've not posted recently--partly because of the trauma of my only
sibling's death last month and partly because the beginning of the Fall
semester is always an extraordinarily busy time for me--but also
partly because of all the arguing-to-no-avail going on.
     I hope Redhead will not stay off the List long.  We need all the
reasoned voices, the joy and laughter, the personal side of us, that
we've enjoyed before.  Please come back soon, Red.
     Hope to see lots of you at the Gathering.
     Love, The Ol' eArThworm