[at-l] CampMor versus North Face - Sleeping Bag

At 09:36 AM 9/24/02 -0400, Robert Tomlinson wrote:
>I am looking to buy a zero degree bag for a trip to the North Georgia AT in
>two weeks and I am down (pardon the pun) to two choices - economy versus
>brand-name - does anyone have a comment on the pros/cons of these two bags?
>Are they really that different from each other? Thanks.

Can't speak to North face since I don't have one, but I do have a Campmor
bag.  It's seen maybe 20 nights over four (?) years (it's summer weight) and
I'm a cold season hiker generally.  In general, I have to say I'm was pretty
pleased with it.  In fact, it's better than my old LL Bean for quality, in
general.
I only upgraded to shave some ounces and to be able to squeeze the bag
into my Redwing.

One thing to check for, is there a "stiffening tape" along the zipper?  That
is one place they seem to cut corners with and can cause you to snag
the fabric of the bag if you aren't careful when you zip or unzip. (A real
bummer if it;s 3AM and you really really gotta pee).  Come to think of it,
I'm not sure my Campmor bag has one since I use it as a quilt and I
guess I never took note.  The Bean one doesn't and it's a pain.

The other difference may be in the quality of the down used and I'm
not sure Campmor lists that info, or North Face either.  The Campmor
bag I have seems to have an accurate temp rating.  If I were you and
I was even considering spending for the North Face, I'd bite the bullet
and go for a WM bag.  I bought a versilite last year and WM's bags are
just awesome.  I don't know where they get their down, but the loft
it provides is incredible.  So I'd vote for the Campmor if you want
to save some bucks or a WM if you want to save weight and
have a bag that might out live you <g>.