[at-l] Trip report or lurking trees

--
This past weekend Bogey and I went for a hike at our favorite place, Caledo=
nia SP to Pine Grove Furnace in PA.  We left the house late Thursday and pa=
rked the vehicles at the termini and started to walk in the twilight from C=
aledonia at 7:45 pm.  It got 'dark' quickly as we ascended the big hill. Us=
ing my Photon 2 light we could see enough to distinguish the lurking ghosts=
, goblins and ax murderers from the oak trees.  It was awesome walking in t=
he dark.  Very peaceful.  Worked up a good sweat.  We reached Quarry Gap sh=
elters to find a group of six men, the Weekend Warriors, bunked out with a =
fire raging in the pit.  We exchanged greetings and I said "Hey, isn't ther=
e a fire ban in the state?", and the leader answered that it was lifted jus=
t this morning.  He said here was a 2 hour thunderstorm last night that dum=
ped needed moisture.
Bogey and I set up the Den tent in the woods just south of the shelter and =
slept with the sound of katydids and crickets, falling acorns and a barred =
owl.  I left my sleeping bag at home and instead took a fleece blanket whic=
h was excellent in this 60-80 degree weather.

Blueberry Bagels and a TastyKake Pie fueled us as we rolled out.
The water situation is dire.  The wildly flowing Birch Run was now just  a =
few shallow puddles.  I felt bad to take even a quart from the animals that=
 live here all the time.  There were hikers with dogs at Birch Run shelters=
 and we could see and hear them from where we pitched  the tent.  Bogey did=
 not sleep well, woke up in a night sweat (I wonder if he's menopausal).  I=
t was very humid.  I slept and had wonderfully real dreams about the places=
 I've walked---Maine, NH.  I was thinking of the Presidentials and which on=
e they would dub Mt. Bush 2nd.  I dreamed I was walking the knife edge when=
 I slipped. I put out my wings and soared over the trail waving to the hike=
rs at Bigelow, and Mahoosuc arm and baldpate.  Then a dark cloud came over =
Mt Washington and it began to storm and I awoke next to the snoring, sweaty=
 Bogey. Bummer! I was hoping to visit the Smokies.

Saturday was Bogey's run for home.  I think he was coming down with a cold.=
  We got the #2 car at PGF, got a few Cokes and an ice cream cone and drove=
 to Caledonia for #1 car and then drove 1 hour to home.
We got home in the afternoon and as I picked up a laundry basket I dislodge=
d a board which fell, its edge Ianding on the instep of my left foot which =
is now swollen and blue but I am able to walk with pain.  Just a few hours =
earlier I walked ten miles now I couldn't go  a half. It just goes to show,=
 the wilderness is safer than home, if you don't get attacked in the dark b=
y a lurking tree.

A day without a hike is a bad day,
SLIM aka Nancy