Re[2]: [at-l] Staying on Topic - LONG

"...Seems  like  "off  topic"  is ok as long as it's trivial nonsense," observes
Terrapin.

I  think we need to accept the fact that this is a list devoted to chit chat and
information  about  how to hike the trail as easily as possible. A vast majority
of  at  least  the  members  who  contribute regularly could care less about the
future of the trail.

I find it sad, that a group of section hikers, thru hikers (future and past) and
dreamers  find  it  boring to discuss the future of the trail and how to protect
the  trail's wildness. But I'm not surprised. Maintaining Clubs have to fight to
keep their membership rolls and to find volunteers.

The surprise came in of 1993, when I was amazed by the large percentage of would
be  thru  hikers  who knew nothing about the history of the trail and who lacked
any understanding of how and why the trail exists.

This  list  suggests  that the ignorance is deliberate, that most find knowledge
and understanding boring.

Weary