[at-l] OT- north country trail..

--
In a message dated 9/20/02 7:28:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hike-usa@pocketmail.com writes:

> the NCT that is also the baker trail, is schizo - there is some treadway,
> some old forest roads, some current forst roads, and places where no man
> has gone before.  a couple of long sections are nothing more than blazes on
> trees, with no footpath between them.  the grasss are thick an tall, which
> hide the roots and rocks.  we were hiking in wet conditions, and i
> considered the conditions dangerous

The North Country Trail in Pennsylvania has great potential and the
accompanying opportunities for improvement.  It also has, it seems, not
enough volunteers to take care of all the work that needs to be done.  Kind
of like my impression of every other hiking trail organization.

If you would like to get involved with the NCT in Pennsylvania you can
contact the State Coordinator, Bob Tait, at nctpa@zoominternet.net or go to
the national organization's website at www.northcountrytrail.org and find a
chapter near you.  A contact person is listed at each chapter's website.

Bob is dedicated to the NCT, and I found that if you make yourself available
he has no problem in getting you involved immediately in resolving issues
that need to be taken care of.

Sorry for the off-topic, PBSesque appeal this morning but its an issue that's
important.  This summer I volunteered to take on the maintaining duties for a
section of the trail in the southwestern part of the state and found my
personal satisfaction at being able to make a contribution to be immense.

Dave B.
(Back to lurk mode :)