From: Susan Davis [mailto:futabachan@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 1:53 PM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] LOTR

> A)  Lord of the Rings is completely on topic, because they walk
> a LOT.

And through the mountains too.  And it took them six months to do it.

Does anyone with a copy of the _Atlas of Middle-Earth_ handy recall
just how far it was calculated that Frodo and Sam hiked to cast the
One Ring in the fires of Katahdruin?

> And hobbits eat like crazy, too.

"You do not realize your peril, my lord Theoden.  These thru-hikers
will sit on the edge of ruin and discuss the pleasures of the AYCE
buffet, or the small doings of the group of hikers they met three
shelters ago...."

Elen sila lumenn omentielvo,
 -- Raccoon --

=====