[at-l] LOTR

> >I can safely say that of the several things that drove me to
> >become a wandering bum, Fletcher's books were #1.  Tolkien's
> >books were #2.
>
> Except that Frodo's journey has a very clear purpose --
> nothing at all ambiguous about it, nor is there any
> suggestion that it will ever be pleasant (quite the
> opposite, in fact.)
>
> The characters themselves may falter from time to
> time -- but the journey itself is "do-or-die."

But that's just LOTR.  The Hobbit was much better - and so was the
Silmarillion, which is by far the best of his works.  Bilbo's journey was
one of adventure and personal discovery - and that's what drove me out of
Home Town, USA.  To learn about what the world was REALLY like, and not just
to sit at home and watch TV and think that every street was like my street,
and all the world was just like the little piece that I called home.

I have never regretted those first trembling steps - and I don't think Bilbo
did either...

Shane