[at-l] Walden Pond

--
At 11:10 AM 9/18/2002 -0400, Lynn Setzer wrote:

>To those who make a pilgrimmage to Walden Pond, know that the cemetery where
>HDT is buried  is nearby.  After standing in the pond, I went casting about
>the graveyard and sure enough, his headstone is there.  It's a rather
>discreet, small thing.  Look for a big one that says Bronson Alcott (father
>to Louisa May, ladies) and Thoreau is nearby.  You'll also see my hero,
>Ralph Waldo Emerson.

For those AT hikers that do a town stop in Bennington, Vermont,
you might be interested to know that the grave of Robert Frost is
there, not far from the center of town and the monument for which
Bennington is famous.  I had a visit on my recent section hike,
on the morning while I was waiting for my wife to pick me up and
take me back home.

I found this a bit surprising, because I knew that Frost had lived,
for a while anyway, near Derry, New Hampshire.

I'll always remember Frost for his participation in JFK's inaugural
celebration, and his wonderful poetry, in general -- much of which
(come to think of it) is very apropos for AT-L.

Right next door to Frost's grave is a museum with many paintings
by Grandma Moses.  Also quite worth the visit.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---