LOTR, was Re: [at-l] Walden (was Bryson's Book)

On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 08:56 PM, Clark wrote:

> well, this is as good a place as any for another OT comment - speaking
> of Lord of the Rings [which just absolutely floored me as an
> impressionable 13 year old back in about 1970, when I read the trilogy
> from cover-to-cover while at summer camp in the NC mountains] has anyone
> else out there read the hilarious spoof that National Lampoon put out
> sometime later in the '70s called "Bored of the Rings?"  It was a hoot,
> and I cannot find my battered copy these days . . . I still remember the
> "Nosedrools" [for those black flying things whose name beginning with
> "N" that I cannot figure out how to spell right off the bat here],
> "Spam" [for Sam], and "Goddamn" [for Gollum] as some of the hysterical,
> slightly revised character names they came up with! :)

A)  Lord of the Rings is completely on topic, because they walk
a LOT.  And hobbits eat like crazy, too.

B)  I actually read Bored of the Rings before I read Lord of the Rings.
It was funny even without the references.  And when I read Lord of the
Rings, I kept noticing similarities to Bored of the Rings.  My childhood
was a little twisted.  (I got Bored of the Rings at the public library.)

-amy