[at-l] Walden (was Bryson's Book)

well, this is as good a place as any for another OT comment - speaking
of Lord of the Rings [which just absolutely floored me as an
impressionable 13 year old back in about 1970, when I read the trilogy
from cover-to-cover while at summer camp in the NC mountains] has anyone
else out there read the hilarious spoof that National Lampoon put out
sometime later in the '70s called "Bored of the Rings?"  It was a hoot,
and I cannot find my battered copy these days . . . I still remember the
"Nosedrools" [for those black flying things whose name beginning with
"N" that I cannot figure out how to spell right off the bat here],
"Spam" [for Sam], and "Goddamn" [for Gollum] as some of the hysterical,
slightly revised character names they came up with! :)

thru-thinker

greyowl@rcn.com wrote:

> Thoreau did write a marvelous book in Walden, but most of his other writi=
ngs are insufferable.  He himself did not have many friends (though admirer=
s).  He was also mean spirited, had a large disregard for the law, and agov=
ernment officals.  One prof that I know said that if he was alive today he =
would have probably joined the Michigan Militia.

> I think that a group read of walden would be an interesting project, but =
may I suggest the Lord of the Ring triology?  (OK so it reeks with misogyny=
)  I believe Kahley knows it by heart.