[at-l] Walden (was Bryson's Book)

--
At 01:06 PM 9/17/2002 -0400, Grey Owl wrote:

>Thoreau did write a marvelous book in Walden, but most of his other
>writings are insufferable.  He himself did not have many friends (though
>admirers).  He was also mean spirited, had a large disregard for the law,
>and agovernment officals.  One prof that I know said that if he was alive
>today he would have probably joined the Michigan Militia.

I might believe that last claim.  The strident tone I get from "Walden"
is the same sort of stridency that one gets from other dangerous
ideologues.. you know, that guy with the turban and the long beard...

It's the utter lack of humor in "Walden" that gets to me.. the
preachy, self-righteous tone of it.  Perhaps it was an appropriate
tone for the times, I dunno.

The actual message is great... there's a lot of truth there, for sure.

I read "Walden" at age 17 or so as part of an AP American History
class in high school.  Haven't re-read it since then, I admit -- except
for a few minutes of skimming it again last night.

>I think that a group read of walden would be an interesting project, but
>may I suggest the Lord of the Ring triology?  (OK so it reeks with
>misogyny)  I believe Kahley knows it by heart.

In what way does LOTR relate to hiking (in the real world, that is?)

I love the book, have read it several times, but can't see the relevance
to the AT.  Looking forward to the 2nd movie in December.

Are there orcs and Balrogs on the Trail?

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---