[at-l] Harvest Moon

Drive up to Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia. The parking lot is a short, half-mile
paved trail to the summit building which has a 360 degree viewing boardwalk (the tower was closed
last time I was there). If you want to camp out, hike a wee bit down the trail at the south end of
the parking lot and find a spot -- camping isn't allowed around the parking lot or up to the
summit. I camped on the trail a few weeks ago with my daughter and we were disturbed in our sleep
by what I presume to have been a rooting pig/boar ... lots of heavy breathing and snorting noises
but it was pitch black, no moon, and we never saw the creature that ran when we whispered ...
It's about a 2 hour drive from 400 and 285 and you can set up camp in the light before you climb
to view the sunset/moonrise from the summit.

--- AHuthmaker@aol.com wrote:
> This weekend, as you all know, is the Harvest Moon, and if we have clear
> skies, I plan to be on a mountaintop to enjoy it!!
>        Here is the question..............given that I cannot leave Atlanta
> til 5:00 on Saturday, do ya'll have any suggestions for places we can get to
> and hike up without it being too late?  I know that Trey mountain was
> mentioned, but I think that is too far for us to make it.  Any thoughts?
> Thank you!!  Anna
>
> Stay on topic!

=====
David Addleton