[at-l] first visit to Max Patch

This past Memorial Day weekend, Hopeful, my soon Scooter and I hiked that a=
rea.  The vvegetation was set back a bit because of a late spring freeze, b=
ut it was beautiful.  My son liked it so much he was wondering how he could=
 be buried up there when he left this life.  This is probably some of the p=
rettiest enjoyable part of the trail I have been on.
Plodder

I hiked to Max Patch this weekend. I really did not expect much... a
bald mountain? Big deal! It is on the NC/Tenn line about 20 miles east
of the Smokies. I was really impressed, however. The North Carolina
Atlas/ Gazeteer calls it "the crown jewel of the Appalachian Trail". It
is well worth the hike or ride to see. It is basically a huge rock dome
which is regularly mowed so it is covered by a nice lawn of grass. It is
moreless spherically shaped, so hikers above or below you tend to
disappear behind the radius of the mountain. And the views at the top
are nothing short of spectacular. You can drive to it from I40 up Cold
Creek road, near exit 7 in North Carolina. It is an 8 mile drive on
gravel. Nice weekend hike! It reminded me of Enchanted Rock in Texas or
Stone Mountain in Atlanta covered with grass.