[at-l] Bibler I-Tent (Good Choice?)

--
In a message dated 9/14/2002 8:59:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> BUT - we use a Nomad 2for2. By comparison, it's half the price, half the
> weight, packs smaller and has a vestibule.  Downside is that it's a single
> wall with the usual condensation problems ...   Now we think the Nomad
> 2for2 is the ultimate tent.   It'll be interesting to see what "becomes"
> the ultimate in another 10 years  :-))

We used 2-4-2s in Scotland this summer. Both nights we tented, it poured. In
fact, I had promised Kurt pictures of the tents over there and it didn't stop
raining long enough to get one.  I know in theory you have to worry about
condensation with a single wall tent but I didn't see any condensation the
first night (with two adults) and the second night there were just a few
little drops right at the peak.

That night when we arrived at the campsite it had already been pouring for
hours and we were sopping wet. The place Datto had chosen was a bit damp,
although it turns out it was the best of all the available options. We set
the tent up in the dryests spot (a peat bog) and I had to smush almost an
inch of water out from underneath it when we crawled in. The tent was packed
with two adults, two packs and two additional duffle bags of "stuff". We
couldn't leave anything outside because it would have floated away - the
water lapped the edges of the tent most of the night.

At one point, I told my friend to make sure the money and passports were
handy in case the nearby river overflowed from the torrential rain and we had
to abandon our shelter. I had visions of Waterfall getting swept away on the
Pinhoti and losing most of her gear. We woke the next morning to find out
some of our new friends had to move tents twice in the middle of the night
because the river flooded their sites.

BUT, when we woke up everything was dry inside xcept a bandana I had tucked
up in the eaves to catch the few drops from the peaks. It was still raining
outside. Considering there was 100% humidity and two adult breathing for
almost 12 hours, I am thrilled with the way the 2-4-2 handled the
condensation.  I love my tent!

http://www.wanderlustgear.com/

POG