[at-l] Boredom (was Bryson's bookl)

This is one of those major life issues. The most potent "humane"
torture is to bore someone - to make each and every day long,
uneventful and bland via sameness. This is the genius behind
"super-max" prisons, and why Timothy McVeigh was eager to accept his
capital punishment.

Each of us deals with boredom in some way. A hiker who follows a cyber
e-list to deny boredom is about as honest as a tele-evangelist hawking
timeshares to Paradise while preaching family values. We find
distractions from things that are humdrum, such as our list. Believe
me, I think admission of boredom is a far smaller sin than adultry and
theft.

Besides, when your life is routine, you are either doing something
extremely well, or are being punished for doing something extremely
bad.

Bill...