[at-l] boredom

Nice summation Ginny... <g>

Isn't boredom that I need to overcome sometimes, but simply the problem of
getting wrapped up inside my own head. One of the harder but more
enlightening days on the AT was when I was hiking into Hanover in the rain,
all wrapped up in how much my feet hurt. When I finally forced myself to
look around I found that I had been completely unaware that I was hiking
through a beautiful hemlock grove... After that day I was back to hiking IN
my surroundings instead of THROUGH them.

And of course you end up with tunes stuck in your head for entertainment
too, sometimes good and sometimes bad.
One of the best ones my brain managed to pull out on me was while climbing
up Hunt Spur to the finish, when I had an old Moody Blues tune, "Eyes of a
Child" delivered in full internal stereo <g>:

            Listen hear the sound
            The child awakes
            Wonder all around
            The child awakes
            Now in his life
            He never must be lost
            No thoughts must deceive him
            in life he must trust

            With the eyes of a child
            You must come out and see
            That your world's spinning round
            And through life you will be
            A small part of a hope of a love that exists
            In the eyes of a child you will see

            Earth falls far away
            New life awaits
            Time it has no day
            New life awaits
            Here is your dream
            And now how does it feel
            No words will go with you
            And now what is real?

            With the eyes of a child
            You must come out and see
            That your world's spinning round
            And through life you will be
            A small part of a hope of a love that exists
            In the eyes of a child you will see

Boy did it fit <vbg>. It must be really hard to hike if you can't
occasionally let your "inner child" out....

skeeter