[at-l] Boredom (was Bryson's bookl)

--
Ziggy?  Is that you?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: kahley
  To: Jim and/or Ginny Owen ; at-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 8:26 AM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Boredom (was Bryson's bookl)

  At 03:19 AM 9/13/02 +0000, Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:

  >It starts with looking small - if the flowers aren't in bloom (and they
  >won't be when you start your hike at Springer) look for the colors of the
  >fungi on the trees and the lichen on the rocks.

  I remember a couple Februarys ago, I came in all woohooey because
  the lichens that grow on the verticles of waterbars were blooming
  again.  It's always been my personal harborer of spring and I've
  been know to dig through snow to see if the lichen is grey or pink.

  Strange fascination, fascinating me.  Changes are taking the pace
  I'm going through.  Maybe the pace we travel has something to do
  with it.  I get much more bored by a drive on the interstate than I
  do on a back road.  A fast boat ride makes everything blurred and
  empty but I stand still and watch the ripples change their size,
  but never leave the stream of warm impermanence and so the days
  float through my eyes but still the days seem the same yet never
  boring.