[at-l] Fifty Ways to Leave the Trail

--
[OB:]

>One could think that. I just wonder why is it that I'm always busting
>my rump trying to keep up with a schedule that looked so reasonable at
>home?

[Black&Blue]

>That's why I've started "concepting" hikes instead of planning them.  <VBG>

What's the problem here?  There are precious few places on the
AT where you're ever more than 20 miles or so from crossing
a reasonably active road or highway.  The Monson-Abol Bridge
section is the only exception I can think of, and even there I have
seen some creative escapes.

It might take a bit of creativity to get back to your car, but if
you need to bail, that option's never far away.  You might have
to hitch a bit, or take a bus or taxi.  There are, shall we say,
these new-fangled communication devices that can be useful
in arranging the necessary transportation.

In a way, this is a real weakness with the AT.  Nothing much to
stop you if you want to leave it.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--