[at-l] trail with a view

I've only walked NOBO in that section. I'd expect the climb above the
dam and lake to be quite good. The next shelter, Cable Gap (or
something) is a nice old CCC style shelter with water a bit too close
to the shelter. Heading south, you have great views at the last
mountain peak of surrounding ridges and river. Grass Gap and a rocky
area just south of it make a great campsite - especially the obvious
rocky area near a reliable water source. Saffsafras Shelter is a good
pit stop, but otherwise forgettable.

Three days is very generous south of Fontana to NOC. A motivated hiker
could do it in 1 1/2 days, easily. I'd suggest a schedule of late AM
depature from Fontana to Cable Gap shelter, day two to camping area
south of Grass Gap, and into NOC next morning for burgers on day three.

Bill...