[at-l] Hiker wisdom

For your entertainment:

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I
may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me the hell alone.

The journey of two thousand miles begins with an episode of insanity.

It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your
tent-mate's Snickers, that's the time to do it.

Don't be irreplaceable at work. If you can't be replaced, you can't go
hiking.

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Before you criticize another hiker, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.

If at first you don't succeed, stick with hiking.  Skydiving is not for you.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably
worth it.

Some days you are the bug; some days you are the DEET.

Don't worry; it only seems gross the first time.

Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgment.

There are two theories to wrestling with bears. Neither one works.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

Never miss a good chance to shut up and watch the sunset.

We are born naked, wet, and hungry, and get slapped on our
a$$ ... then things get worse.

The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

Shane