[at-l] Meal times, etc.

The eating of three meals a day came with the rise of the industrial revelu=
tion.  It is much more natural to eat more and smaller meals.  My son has t=
ype I diabetes and his endrocrinologists suggested that he eats 5 or 6 smal=
l meals a day.  This has helped him maintain his blood sugars to acceptable=
 levels.  I started a similiar eating schedule by adding a snack (fruit) ar=
ound 10 am and a snack around 2:30 (carbo's like peanut butter and crackers=
).  Initially I gained a few pounds as I adjusted my food intake.  I now ha=
ve lost weight as I never feel really hungrey and I stay away from binge ea=
ting.  On the trail I add an evening snack as I need more calories.  Since =
I am on the trail only two or three days at a time I can carry a lot of fre=
sh fruits and vegetables.  Most long distance hikers end up eat very unbala=
nced diets.  They rely on freeze dried or Mac and Cheese, so something of s=
imiliar ilk.

My suggestion is to plan for 5 meals in a day.  Stay away from high sugar f=
oods.  This weekend I snacked on Planter's Trail Mix.  It was really good a=
nd pack the necessary calories.  The bananna and the apple was also really =
good.  Some of the things I carry for snacks or dry cheese (think Parmesan,=
 or wax covered Gouda), peanuts, Peanut Butter and crakers, fresh fruit (es=
pecially apples), sun flower seads, etc.  Breakfast is usually oatmeal, lun=
ch is a sandwich of some type (I like the tuna in the pouch) and supper som=
ething other than freeze dried.  At one time or another there were various =
recipes posted to this list.

THe one time that I carried forzen meat the package leaked inside of the pa=
ck and it endup going up with the bear bag.  Always double package meat.  M=
y friend has carried in forzen hamburgers for the first night on the trail,=
 and I have carried breaded frozen Veal.  I have also carried Harvest burge=
rs and Bocca Burgers.  Since the latter items are vegitarin they do not hav=
e to remain frozen and could be eaten on the second day of hikin.

Well I am thru rambling.  CT trip report coming this evening.  Back to the =
lab.

Grey Owl
aka Grey Owl