[at-l] AT Thru-hiking videos

--

Thanks for all of the info Lamar-will check out the book.  Unfortunately I =
have already purchased most of my gear and as I have been hiking longer and=
 longer distances over the past 2 years, I am realizing that I should have =
done more research than I did, because there seems to be tons of ways to re=
duce my pack weight, which is at about 37 pounds right now.  I will probabl=
y have to try to sell some (perhaps on ebay?) and hopefully get it right th=
e second time around.  What is a G4 pack?
 Lamar wrote:Hello Sheila and welcome. Check out a dude named Ray Jardine f=
or light
weight gear ideas. I think his book is call Beyond Backpacking but don't
hold me to that. I have not read his book but it seems to be well thought
of by those who have read it.

Some of the idea that I use that have greatly cut the weight of my pack
are:
Using a "G4" type pack which makes double use of certain items of gear.
This eliminate the need for the other items.
Using the plastic one liter soft drink and spring water type bottles.
They're durable, cheap and very lightweight.
Using house hold bleach to treat my water. Check out the American Red
Cross web page for some good info re using bleach. My little kit contain
a plastic medicine dropper, a one ounce bottle of bleach, all in a zip
lock bag. Everything weighs about 1.3 ounces.
Using LED (light emitting diode) mini flash light and home made head
lamp. My flashlight and headlamp combined weigh 2 ounces.
Using a "pepsi can" stove to burn denatured alcohol.
Using a Walmart "grease pot" and a home made pot cozy to prepare my
meals.
Finally, I dehydrate all my own meals for a hike of more than 3 days
length.

The above items have not only saved me about 25 pounds but also could
have saved me several hundred dollars. If you have not already purchased
you gear I'll suggest you consider some of these ideas. I gave about $250
for my first good quality pack. My G4 cost me $80. Plastic soft drink
bottle are basically free, I gave about $5 each for the water bottles I
used before. My old water pump/ filter cost me about $60 but my bleach
kits was only about $2. Old style flashlight are cheaper than my LED but
weigh 10 times more. The old head lamp was about twice as expensive as
the one I made and is 9 ounces when my new one is 1.5 ounces. My aluminum
can stove, cook pot, and pot cozy are only 9 ounces total and cost me
about $12, these replaced 34 ounce of my former cook kit and stove which
cost me nearly $75.

Well, I'm writing a book here. It is nice that you have chosen to joins
us. I feel sure you be find lots of good info on the List. Hopeful