[at-l] Bryson's Book

"...And  it  would  have been a shame if the report were true. But I was
in the room
and  I  sensed  the  vast  majority  of  those attending were looking
forward to
seeing,  listening, and talking to Bryson. I don't recall any boos, even
when he
failed  to  show  up  -- or even to notify anyone of his decision not to
show. I
suspect,  Bryson  didn't show because he knew his book was mostly
fiction and he
didn't want to answer questions from a room of knowledgeable people. "
says Weary

- The report was true.
- I agree that the vast majority of the people in the room did want to
hear from Bryson.
- There were 2 or 3 people in the room who were almost violent about his
speaking.(no exaggeration)
- People did not boo because he did not show up and some actually
cheered when they heard he was not coming.
- He did notify those in charge that he was not going to appear when
they told him what some people had said about him.
- I suspect that Bryson would have loved to appear and speak to a group
like us but was afraid that some individuals in the audience would
embarrass him.  This was a low point in ALDHA.
- When this happened I did not know who Bryson was and had not read his
book.  But because of this I did read his book and found it very funny.

Panzer