[at-l] Bryson's Book

"...I  remember  at  one  of  the  Gatherings  in  Dartmouth NH 1999, Bryson was
supposed to speak, but so many people said that they would boo him that he could
not appear. What a shame," says Panzer.

And  it  would  have been a shame if the report were true. But I was in the room
and  I  sensed  the  vast  majority  of  those attending were looking forward to
seeing,  listening, and talking to Bryson. I don't recall any boos, even when he
failed  to  show  up  -- or even to notify anyone of his decision not to show. I
suspect,  Bryson  didn't show because he knew his book was mostly fiction and he
didn't want to answer questions from a room of knowledgeable people.

It  is  indeed  a humorous book. I chuckled all the way through it. But it in no
way describes the trail or AT hiking -- either his hike or anyone elses.

 It's  a  bit of summer fluff he pulled together to fullfill a book contract. It
 made him a lot of money. Sales I suspect exceeded those for all his other books
 combined.

 It  was  popular  because  it echoed the stereotype most couch potatoes have of
 long  distance hikers -- which like most stereotypes has an element of truth in
 it, but which leaves out the essence of the experience.

 Weary