[at-l] Bryson's Book

--
At 01:42 AM 9/8/2002 -0400, Panzer wrote:

>[re: the bryson book]

>I read this book and thought that it was really funny.  Would recommend it
>for anyone to read, hiker or non hiker.
>I remember at one of the Gatherings in Dartmouth NH 1999, Bryson was
>supposed to speak, but so many people said that they would boo him that he
>could not appear.  What a shame.

For some reason this book seems to offend and annoy
the True Believers, including many on this list.  I personally
enjoyed the book and have "defended" it against its many
detractors here on AT-L, but it wasn't worth the bother.
The discussion degenerated quickly with name-calling
and uncivil behavior on both sides.  Although one might
reasonably ask why a simple book, meant as light farce,
might create such passionate feelings on both sides

Maybe because it has outsold (by a huge margin) all of the
more "pure" and serious treatments of the same subject?

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---