[at-l] Packing a Blown Back

You offer several pearls of wisdom. You didn't mention what "blew" the
disk, but I'll hazard a guess that it wasn't during backpacking. What
many doctor's and PT's don't know is that a well fitted backpack
distributes weight off of the shoulders and back onto the pelvis. You
could do damage to your back by picking it up carelessly. In general,
surgeries are avoided unless there are neurological complications, as
you had, or the patient shops until he finds someone needing to make a
boat payment.

Dehydration increases the chance of muscle spasm, and if you are
predisposed due to a bulging disk, your observation should be well on
target. You _might_ reduce the risk to a degree with calcium
supplementation, but this could also increase the risk of a kidney
stone teaching you the real meaning of pain.

If your PT and docs have taught you to avoid impact sports and to avoid
the bad ways of lifting weights, they have done a very good job indeed.
If you are involved in general exercise regimens and avoid an abdominal
fat pad, you aren't a candidate for back specific exercises.

Pat yourself on the back for following orders and avoiding the
opportunity to be disabled by this condition.

Bill...